Creating and Maintaining Successful Design Systems
with Brad Frost
Brad Frost is a web designer, speaker, writer, and consultant located in beautiful Pittsburgh, PA. He is the author of the book Atomic Design, which introduces a methodology to create and maintain effective design systems. In addition to co-hosting the Style Guides Podcast, he has also helped create several tools and resources for web designers, including Pattern Lab, Styleguides.io, Style Guide Guide, This Is Responsive, and WTF Mobile Web.
This Workshop will Cover:
Design systems and style guides provide solid ground for us to stand on as we tackle the increasingly diverse and fast-moving digital landscape. This full-day session will tackle all that goes into making and maintaining successful interface design systems, including:
- Selling Design Systems – We all know design systems and pattern libraries are great, but how do you get your clients, bosses, and teammates on board? We’ll make the business cases for design systems, and discuss tactics and tools for selling design systems to clients and stakeholders.
- A Pattern-Based Process – Making modular interfaces requires massive shifts in our design and development process. We’ll discuss why front-end development is an essential part of the design process and demonstrate how tools like lo-fi sketches, style tiles, element collages, Pattern Lab, and others facilitate collaboration—and result in successful design systems.
- Atomic Design Principles – We’ll cover core principles of modular UI interface design and discuss considerations around atomic design, a methodology for crafting robust, deliberate design systems.
- Anatomy of Effective Style Guides – A style guide is the happy home for all a design system’s ingredients. A robust and well-presented style guide can help a design system truly take root at your organization.
- Design System Maintenance – Like a fine wine, a design system should increase in value over time. We’ll discuss tactics and techniques to ensure that your pattern library stays in sync, and your design system provides lasting value to your organization.
By the end of the day, you’ll be armed with all the insights and resources you need to create, sell, and maintain effective interface design systems.